Publication Number: FHWA-HRT-14-008
Date: November 2013
Printable Version (.pdf, 0.3 mb)
SHRP2 Implementation Assistance: A Preview of Round 3
The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) will begin accepting applications January 17, 2014, for the third round of the second Strategic Highway Research Program (SHRP2) Implementation Assistance Program. Applications will be accepted until February 14, 2014. Round 3 recipients will be announced in March.
More than 100 research projects conducted under SHRP2 have resulted in an array of advanced tools and technologies for improving highway safety, renewal, reliability, and capacity. These tools and technologies are now being released as SHRP2 Solutions products. Funding awarded through the Implementation Assistance Program helps State transportation agencies, metropolitan planning organizations, tribal agencies, local agencies, and others as they implement new products.
Round 3 products are:
- Freight Demand Modeling and Data Improvement—This organizational approach will help agencies in achieving improved freight data sets and freight modeling practices. FHWA and AASHTO will preview the product in a free Webinar on December 16, 2013, at 2:30 p.m. eastern standard time (EST). To register, visit www.nhi.fhwa.dot.gov/resources/webconference/web_conf_learner_reg.aspx?webconfid=26933.
- GeoTech Tools—These tools offer more than 40 geotechnical solutions to common embankment, cut slope, structure and foundation interface, and pavement foundation issues. To learn more, plan to attend the product Webinar on December 16, 2013, at noon EST. Registration is available at www.nhi.fhwa.dot.gov/resources/webconference/web_conf_learner_reg.aspx?webconfid=26934.
- Precast Concrete Pavement—New tools for using precast concrete pavement systems will help agencies reduce the duration of construction closures on critical roadways. The tools will be highlighted in a Webinar to be held December 12, 2013, at 2 p.m. EST. To register, visit www.nhi.fhwa.dot.gov/resources/webconference/web_conf_learner_reg.aspx?webconfid=26935.
- Identifying and Managing Utility Conflicts—Agencies will find strategies for improving cooperation among highway agencies and utility agencies and speeding up project completion. To register for a product Webinar to be held December 13, 2013, at 2 p.m. EST, visit www.nhi.fhwa.dot.gov/resources/webconference/web_conf_learner_reg.aspx?webconfid=26927.
- Pavement Renewal Solutions—New guidelines for using existing pavements in rapid construction will help extend pavement life and save money. The guidelines will be previewed in a Webinar scheduled for December 17, 2013, at 2 p.m. EST. To register, visit www.nhi.fhwa.dot.gov/resources/webconference/web_conf_learner_reg.aspx?webconfid=26926.
Eighteen States were awarded implementation and technical assistance in October 2013 through Round 2 of the Implementation Assistance Program. For more information on the Round 2 recipients, the application process for Round 3, and anticipated products for Round 4, visit www.fhwa.dot.gov/goshrp2 or http://SHRP2.transportation.org. FHWA and AASHTO expect to begin accepting applications for Round 4 product implementation in June 2014.
Additional information on SHRP2 is available by contacting Carin Michel at FHWA, 410-962-2530 (email: firstname.lastname@example.org), or Pam Hutton at AASHTO, 303-263-1212 (email: email@example.com).
To learn more about SHRP2 Solutions products, visit www.fhwa.dot.gov/goshrp2.