U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Highway Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20590
- Performance Dashboards
- Safety, Mobility, and Congestion
- Asset Management
- Preservation and Maintenance
- Events, Conferences, Workshops, and Courses
- North Carolina Vision Zero Safety Dashboard
The dashboard allows visitors to visualize fatality and serious injury collision trends; view maps of crash trends by county, city, and law enforcement jurisdictions; view top contributing circumstances for filtered crashes; and visualize crash times via a heat grid.
- Virginia Smart Scale Dashboard
Smart Scale is a prioritization process focused on investing limited tax dollars into projects that meet Virginia's most critical transportation needs. The dashboard, updated each work day, shows performance in executing those projects.
Safety, Mobility, and Congestion
- NTSB Aims to Reduce Speed-Related Crashes
A National Transportation Safety Board study highlights the scope of speeding-related passenger vehicle crashes, illustrates the risks of speeding, and describes driver attitudes toward speeding. The study links speeding to 112,580 highway crash fatalities between 2005 and 2014.
- Government Technology: Las Vegas to Pilot WayCare's Accident Prediction Software
Las Vegas will serve as the first U.S. pilot for WayCare, a startup that aims to use artificial intelligence software to predict accidents hours before they happen.
- Safety Research 2017: Innovations from State DOTS
The Research Advisory Committee of the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) highlights two high-value projects from each of the four AASHTO regions, funded primarily through the State Planning and Research (SPR) Program.
- FHWA Transportation Asset Management Plan Interim Guidance
The FHWA has published interim guidance on developing transportation asset management plan (TAMP) financial plans; incorporating risk management into TAMPs; and using a life cycle planning process to support asset management.
- Elements of a Transportation Asset Management Plan: Risk Management
The webinar, held Aug. 9, 2017, was part of the Transportation Asset Management Webinar Series sponsored by FHWA and AASHTO.
- AASHTO: Research Makes the Difference 2017
The "Sweet Sixteen" state research projects were selected by the Research Advisory Committee of the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO). They comprise four high-value research projects from each of the four AASHTO regions, funded primarily through the State Planning and Research (SPR) Program.
Preservation and Maintenance
Events, Conferences, Workshops, Webinars, and Courses
- FHWA: TPM and AM Technical Implementation Workshops
Four regional workshops are being held to assist FHWA Staff, State DOTs and MPOs with implementing the technical requirements of transportation performance management-related rulemaking. The remaining sessions are set for Aug. 22-25, in Cambridge, MA, and Sept. 12-15 in Phoenix, AZ. Sessions already have been held in Kansas City, MO, and Raleigh, NC.
- FHWA/AASHTO Transportation Asset Management Webinar Series
The series addresses topics in transportation asset management. On September 13, the topic will be financial plans and investment strategies; on November 8, process improvements will be discussed.
- University Transportation Centers (UTC) Spotlight Conference: Rebuilding and Retrofitting the Transportation Infrastructure
September 26-27, 2017, Washington, DC: The conference will focus on rebuilding and retrofitting transportation infrastructure for all modes. It will highlight best practices and breakthrough ideas for transportation infrastructure concepts, designs, asset management, and more.
- Association of Metropolitan Planning Organizations Annual Conference
October 17-20, 2017, Savannah, GA: The conference brings together policy board members, executive directors, technical staff, federal and state employees, and consultants to share information on a variety of MPO issues.