U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Highway Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20590
Bridging History: The Harford Road Bridge Project
Appendix C Construction Skill Set
(barriers, skills set coordination, etc.)
- Require full closure.
- Eliminate staged construction.
- Incorporate enhancements to detour route.
- Close pedestrian bridge during construction.
- Constructability review
- Reduce construction time (from three years to less than one year).
- Selling point to community.
- Simplify demolition process.
- Cost and schedule savings.
- Eliminate all associated staging costs for structure.
- Expand staging area and contractor work area.
- Enhance safety (worker and public).
- Minimize MOT costs.
- May inconvenience park users and local community.
- Construct temporary or permanent pedestrian bride downstream.
- Seek qualified, experienced review team.
- Complete reconstruction.
- Reduce/eliminate (2) spans.
- Modify typical section with new MSE Retaining wall.
- Minimal maintenance for new structure.
- Reduce construction time (utilize pre-cast).
- Smaller structure size (single span).
- Continuity in aesthetics (retain three span appearance with portals).
- Allow sufficient width for proposed bike path.
- Require additional permitting (resubmission).
- Eliminate all staging costs for structure.
- New/realigned pedestrian access.
- Temporary pedestrian/bike path access (downstream).
- Combine park improvements (bike path and parking) with bridge contract.
- Enhance landscaping to compliment selected bridge aesthetics.
- Access may be reduced (temporarily during construction).
- Explore Design/Build.
- Improve communication.
- Enhance resolution process.
- Enhance utility coordination.
- Utility elimination and relocation.
- Cost benefits must be adequate and justified.
- Well defined milestone and activities.
- Specific scheduling requirements (CPM).
- Requirements for D/B must be clear.
- Gives contractor improved flexibility and control of work.
- Establishes NTE cost (check BC Charter).
||Innovative Financing - FHWA IFT.
||Identify Champion (Joe $$$$ Taylor).