U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Highway Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20590
Pavement Technical Advisories (TA)
- Paved Shoulders (T5040.29) This TA outlines recommended practices for the design of paved shoulders.
- Concrete Pavement Joints (T5040.30) This TA provides guidance and recommendations relating to the design and construction of joints in jointed Portland cement concrete pavements.
- Open Graded Friction Courses (T5040.31) TA provides technical guidance on the use of open graded friction courses (OGFC), also known as plant mix seal courses, to develop good friction characteristics for pavement surfaces.
- Surface Texture for Asphalt and Concrete Pavements (T5040.36) This TA (1) issues information on state-of-the-practice for providing surface texture/friction on pavements and (2) issues guidance for selecting techniques that will provide adequate wet pavement friction and low-tire/surface noise characteristics.
- Use of Recycled Concrete Pavement as Aggregate in Hydraulic-Cement Concrete Pavement (T5040.37). This Technical Advisory issues information on state-of-the-practice and guidance for the use of recycled concrete pavement as aggregate in concrete used for pavements.
- Pavement Friction Management (T5040.38) This Technical Advisory issues guidance to State and local highway agencies in management of pavement surface friction on roadways.
- Use of Alternate Bidding for Pavement Type Selection (T 5040.39) This Technical Advisory issues guidance to State and local highway agencies that are interested in using alternate bidding procedures to make the pavement type selection on Federal-aid projects on the National Highway System (NHS).
- Use of Coal Ash in Embankments and Bases (T5080.9) FHWA sets forth guidance and recommendations relating to the use of coal ash in bases and embankments. This Technical Advisory covers the history of coal ash use in these applications along with discussions on environmental, design, and construction considerations.
- Continuously Reinforced Concrete Pavement (T5080.14) This provides and outline on recommended practices for the design, construction, and repair of continuously reinforced concrete pavement (CRCP).
- Development and Review of Specifications (T5080.16) This TA provides to Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) regional and division offices and State highway agencies (SHA) guidance for the development and review of specifications for Federal-aid highway projects.
- Texturing and Skid Resistance of Concrete Pavements and Bridge Decks (T5140.10) FHWA's guidance for providing an adequate level of wet pavement skid resistance on Portland cement concrete (PCC) pavement surfaces and plain or latex modified concrete bridge deck surfaces.
- Use of Contractor Test Results in the Acceptance Decision, Recommended Quality Measures, and the Identification of Contractor/Department Risks (T6120.3) (Memo) The subject TA was created to provide additional clarification of the requirements included in 23 CFR 637B and provide recommended guidance to field personnel. The focus of this TA is to highlight the proper use and validation of contractor performed sampling and testing with agency verification sampling and testing. In addition, this TA provides useful information and recommendations on contractor/agency risks that need to be addressed when developing an acceptance program.