Comprehensive Design Example for Prestressed Concrete (PSC) Girder Superstructure Bridge
3. Flow Charts
Main Design Steps Flow Chart
- Determine bridge materials, span arrangement, girder spacing, bearing types, substructure type and geometry, and foundation type (Design Step 2.0)
- Assume deck slab thickness based on girder spacing and anticipated girder top flange (Design Step 4.2)
- Analyze interior and exterior girders, determine which girder controls (Design Step 4.2)
- Is the assumed thickness of the slab adequate for the girder spacing and the girder top flange width?
NO revise the deck thickness and go back to 3.
YES continue to 5.
- Design the deck slab (Design Step 4.0)
- Design the controlling girder for flexure and shear (Design Step 5.6 and 5.7)
- Design bearings (Design Step 6.0)
- Design integral abutments (Design Step 7.1)
- Design intermediate pier and foundation; (Design Step 7.2)