Ferry Boat Discretionary (FBD) Program
FBD Program Information
The FBD program provides funding for ferry facilities (either vehicular or passenger) that are on a non-Interstate public road and are publicly owned, publicly operated, or majority publicly owned providing substantial public benefits. Projects selected for funding under this program are funded at an 80 percent Federal share.
The Ferry Boat Discretionary (FBD) program was discontinued by the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act (MAP-21), Public Law 112-141. The last FBD project solicitation was for FY 2011. Funding for previously awarded FBD projects is still available for allocation.
FBD Project Awards Available for Allocation
FBD Guidance and Additional Information
- Guidelines on Preparing Engineer's Estimate, Bid Reviews and Evaluation (10/07/2021) Replaces FHWA Technical Advisories TA 5080.4 and TA 5080.6
- Guide to Federal-aid Programs and Projects: Ferry Boat Discretionary Program (.pdf) (01/25/2017)
- Policy on Sponsorship Acknowledgment and Agreements within the Highway Right-of-Way (04/07/2014)
- MAP-21 Ferry Boat Formula Program (FBP) Implementation Guidance (11/01/2012)
- Solicitation for FY 2012 Candidate Projects for 12 Discretionary Programs (11/09/2011)
MAP-21 established the Construction of Ferry Boats and Ferry Terminal Facilities Formula Program. Additional information may be found at https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/specialfunding/fbp/.