This technical area provides method and procedural guidance concerning selection, planning, executing, contracting, quality assurance/quality control, inspection, interpretation, and report preparation for subsurface explorations involving transportation applications. The subsurface characterization techniques covered includes the in situ testing, the geophysical testing, and the laboratory test selection used to establish appropriate soil and rock design and construction parameters.
- Geotechnical Engineering Circular No. 5 - Geotechnical Site Characterization (November, 2016)
- Geotechnical Engineering Circular No. 14 - Assuring Quality in Geotechnical Reporting Documents (August, 2106)
- Soils and Foundations Volume I (December, 2006)
- Soils and Foundations Volume II (December, 2006)
- Checklist and Guidelines for Review of Geotechnical Reports and Preliminary Plans and Specifications (February, 2003)
- Geotechnical Guideline No. 15 - Geotechnical Differing Site Conditions (05/02/1998)
- Differing Site Conditions (10/09/1996)