ACTT Workshop: Montana
January 26-28, 2004, Missoula, Montana
Appendix C (continued): Skill Set Reporting Forms
Structures Skill Set
|Structures Team Members|
|Ted Burch, FHWA - Montana
John Miller, FHWA - Montana
Joe Kolman, MDT
Jesus Rohena, FHWA
|William McEleney, NSBA
Gary Kalberg, MDT
Jerry Potter, FHWA
|Doug Edwards, FHWA FLDO
Bob Modrow, MDT
Mac McArthur, MDT
(Barriers, Skill Set Coordination, etc.)
|Prefabrication Lead Time||
|Bridge Contract Combination||
|Jack & Bore||
|Off -Season Construction||
|RUC and VE||
|Redesign Wildlife Overpass||
|Jocko Hollow Bridge||
|MRL Railroad Overpass||
Notes recorded, but not entered into form:
- Can any of the bridges be grouped into a single construction contract?
- Top down construction for short bridges.
- Prefabricate everything.
- Cast deck on girders and then erect shallow superstructures.
- Jack and bore the small wildlife crossings.
- Temporary detour bridges on offset alignments.
- Prefabricated caps.
- Sequence so as to reuse temporary structures.
- Standardized detour structures & work bridges (early permits).
- Build the new structure adjacent to the old one and roll it in.
- Build over width and do half at a time.
- Build them long enough to facilitate permitting.
- Standard details as much as possible.
- Wildlife 200ft overpass, foundation needs to be revisited. Longer may be cheaper.
- Just make it a bridge and cover it with dirt.
- Build in winter for less traffic.
- Give the contractor a long lead time to allow for prefabrication and mobilization.
- State furnished materials.
- Incentive / disincentive for contract time and completion.
- Use lightweight concrete for shipping larger prefabed units.
- Expedite permits for oversized loads for hauling prefabed pieces.
- Use High performance concrete decks on all and provide training to contractors.
- Steam treat the cast in place for speed curing.
- Saline treatment specification should be modified to expedite construction using contractor innovation.
- Modify specs to encourage innovative ideas from contractor.
- Precast desk panels.
- Work from each end and top down to stay out of sensitive areas.
- Continuous decks regardless of number of spans.
- ? Integral Abutments?
- self consolidating concrete.
- high early strength concrete.
- pile bents.
- Drilled shafts rather than cofferdams.
- Develop a standard aesthetic treatment (rail).
- Precast aesthetic treatment.
- Staining preformed concrete stuff.
- Native artists to theme aesthetics.
- Maturity meter for concrete control.
- Con spans for long structures. (earth filled arch)
- Design build on SEIS part.
- Minimize MSE walls.
- Modify conc. Specs to allow for longer mud hauls and less moving of conc. plants. (end result spec to give contractor more freedom an mix design)
- Set up a plant.
- Bailey Bridge approach for temp structures.
- Ensure reliability and integrity of structure during design so they won't need to be worked on for a while.
- More contractor QC/QA.
- Integral wearing course and grind it for ride ability.
- Spread footings for simple spans.
- 10' X 22' openings for wildlife.
- Long bridge is continuous.
- Long structures must provide for wildlife passage.
- 12' clearance is for large structures.
- Same grade at pot holes pretty much.
Already Designed Bridges
- Jocko River Bridge - 15.6m wide, 3 spans, 120m long, 3 sizes of drilled shafts, staged construction, M72 Beam, full height abutments, 30° skew, int. bents 3 column pier cap.
- Multiple Bridges in one contract.
- Prefab caps.
- Full depth prefab decks.
- Eliminate phase construction.
- Phase approaches with reinforced slopes.
- Standard sizes/details (shaft diameters).
- Make all columns same size as shafts.
- No more than two sizes of drilled shafts.
- Continuous deck.
- Review need for 20' rock socket.
- Mission Creek Bridge - 16.5m wide, 1 span, 40m long, pipe piles.
- Wildlife overpass - 61m long, tunnel type deal, conspan, concrete end walls.
- MSE for end walls.
- Consider using a conventional bridge and cover it with dirt.
- MSE wall inside walls w/ spread footing abutments.
- Railroad Bridge - 103.5m long, 3 span, 13m wide, 30° skew, drilled shafts.
- Make all columns same size as shafts.
- Precast deck.
- Square and flat bottom of wing wall (add 1 drilled shaft).
- Include with Jocko Hollow Bridge.
Generic Findings and Recommendations
- Can multiple bridges be let in one contract.
- Jack and bore wildlife crossings and culverts.
- Prefabricate as many components as possible.
- Standardized details should be used where possible.
- Schedule letting so that construction occurs in the winter to avoid traffic and allow the contractor a long lead time to get prefabrication done.
- Modify specifications to encourage innovative ideas from the contractor. Consider tying RUC to VE. (get w/ innovative contracting).
- Design / build the SEIS section.
- Concrete Spec. Recommendations.
- Modify the concrete spec to allow longer haul times.
- Modify the concrete spec to be a end result spec with a contractor mix design.
- More contractor QC/QA.
- Require self consolidating concrete on some elements.
- Require high early strength concrete.
- Require the use of a maturity meter for concrete monitoring.
- Require fast curing on CIP members.
- Require HPC decks and provide training to the contractors.
- We think the wildlife overpass should be completely redone.
- The 20' rock sockets need to be reviewed.
- Intermingling with Environmental, Joe: permits, draining potholes, Equip in crossings, changing animal overpass.
- Likes idea of changing critter structure too, concerns: Jocko river and Mission creek timing restriction (only time work in stream is allowed is June 1 to August 31), erosion control is very important on the smaller drainages, likes permitting temporary facilities ahead of time.
- Intermingling with Geotechnical, Bob: jet grouting, welded wire wall, top-down bridge construction, jack and bore, ardulite, is scour an issue with it, draining potholes, changing critter overpass.
- Drilled shaft wet construction to keep from draining potholes, told us how jet grouting worked, look at rock sockets again, let contractor know what he is getting into.
- Intermingling with Innovative Contracting, Ted: design build, VE clauses for items beyond cost, qualifications based contractors prior to bid.
- VE, they are considering it.
- Intermingling with Construction, Gary: contract sequencing N to S or S to N, VE for traffic control and sequence of operations, combining of contracts, electronic data transfer.
- Traffic disturbance with critter overpass, likes combining projects, likes night work for lane closures, likes idea of changing critter structure.
- Intermingling with Utilities/ROW, Bill: utilities on bridges.