Construction Program Guide
The FHWA's policy for culvert and storm sewer material type selection is that State transportation departments and direct recipients of Federal-aid highway construction funds shall have the autonomy to determine culvert and storm sewer material types to be included in Federal-aid highway construction projects.
- Section 1525 of the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act or MAP-21 (07/06/2012) requires the Secretary to "...modify section 635.411 of title 23, Code of Federal Regulations... to ensure that States shall have the autonomy to determine culvert and storm sewer material types to be included in the construction of a project on a Federal-aid highway."
- Culvert Pipe Selection Final Rule (01/28/2013) On January 28, 2013, the Final Rule implementing the requirements of Section 1525 was published in the Federal Register; The Final Rule added Paragraph (f) to 23 CFR 635.411 as follows: "(f) State transportation departments (State DOTs) shall have the autonomy to determine culvert and storm sewer material types to be included in the construction of a project on a Federal-aid highway."
- Final Rule: Culvert Pipe Selection (04/22/2013) Charles W. Bolinger's memo on the Notice of FHWA's Final Rule on Culvert Type selection
- MAP-21: Section 1525 Interim Policy Guidance (10/09/2012) FHWA's policy guidance document signed by David Nicol
- Questions and Answers Regarding Title 23 CFR 635.411, Q&A's K1-K5, supplement the above policy memoranda.
- Section 12: Buried Structures and Tunnel Liners
- 12.4-Soil and Material Properties
- 12.5-Limit States and Resistance Factors
- 12.6-General Design Features
- 12.7-Metal Pipe, Pipe Arch, Arch Structures, and Steel-Reinforced Thermoplastic Culverts
- 12.8-Long-Span Structural Plate Structures
- 12.9-Structural Plate Box Structures
- 12.10-Reinforced Concrete Pipe.
- 12.11-Reinforced Concrete Cast-In-Place and Precast Box Culverts and Reinforced Cast-In-Place Arches
- 12.12-Thermoplastic Pipes
- 12.13-Steel Tunnel Liner Plate
- 12.14-Precast Reinforced Concrete Three-Sided Structures
- 12.15-Fiberglass Pipe
Highway Drainage Guidelines, 4th Edition (2007)
- Subchapter 4.10 Service Life
- Subchapter 14.4 Material Selection and Estimating Service Life
Plant Certification and Culvert Material Information
- American Concrete Pipe Association
- National Corrugated Steel Pipe Association
- National Precast Concrete Association
- National Transportation Product Evaluation Program Site for Thermoplastic Plastic Pipe for Highway Applications
- Plastics Pipe Institute
- Uni-Bell PVC Pipe Association