Construction Program Guide
Design-Build Project Delivery
On December 10, 2002 in response to section 1307 of TEA-21, FHWA published the final rule which established regulations for design-build contracting as 23 CFR Part 636. Subsequent modifications required by section 1503 of SAFETEA-LU resulted in revisions published in a final rulemaking on August 14, 2007. Among the revisions made by SAFETEA-LU were the elimination of the dollar thresholds for "qualified" projects; and permission to release an RFP or award a design-build contract prior to completion of NEPA. Design-build procurement processes which deviate from the requirements of 23 CFR 636 may require an SEP-14 work plan and approval.
- Title 23 U.S.C. 112(b)(3) provides the FHWA's statutory requirements for the design-build project delivery method.
- Title 23 C.F.R. Part 636 provides the FHWA's regulatory policy for the design-build project delivery method. However, it should be noted that there were also revisions made to the FHWA's regulations in other program areas to address design-build. Specifically see the regulatory revisions in the December 10, 2002 final rule making.
- Alternative Contracting Methods (ACMs) Library
- "Current Design-Build Practices for Transportation Projects: A Compilation of Practices by the Transportation Design-Build Users Group" June 2009
- Design-Build Effectiveness Study - Report to Congress as required by TEA-21, Section 1307(f)
- Minnesota DOT's March 16, 2006 Report: Economic and Risk Assessment of Accelerating the ROC 52 Design and Construction Process (.pdf, 3.2 mb)
- Design-Build Contracting for Highway Projects - A Performance Assessment, May 2005, Tom Warne and Associates, LLC
- Utility Involvement in South Carolina Design-Build Projects - March 2005 FHWA document.
- Design-Build Contracts and Right-of-Way - a 2001 document prepared by the FHWA Office of Real Estate Services
- Design-Build Contracts and Right-of-Way Activities - a 2000 document prepared by the FHWA Office of Real Estate Services
- 2002 Survey by SAIC for Illinois DOT on the Current Use of Design-Build
- Prerequisite for Design-Build - (Report date: March 1993) by L. Gary Byrd, Considerations for Implementing Design-Build Contracts in the Federal-aid Highway Program
- Utah State University Innovative Contracting Home Page provides work plans, evaluations and other information collected from the FHWA's Innovative Contracting Program SEP-14.
- Finnish Road Enterprise - "Innovative Project Delivery Methods for Infrastructure An International Perspective" (pdf, 665 kb)
- Design-Build Institute of America
- National Transit Institute
- American Society of Civil Engineers - Design-Build Training
- Federal Publications - Design-Build Construction
Design-Build Related Web Sites
- State DOT/AASHTO Design-Build Web Sites
- Other Design-Build Related Links