Construction Program Guide
Form FHWA-1273 - 'Required Contract Provisions Federal-Aid Construction Contracts'
The provisions of Form FHWA-1273 generally apply to all Federal-aid highway construction projects, and must be physically incorporated into the construction contract, subcontracts and lower-tier subcontracts. A STA is not permitted to modify the provisions of Form FHWA-1273. However, a STA may develop a separate supplemental specification or special provision as long as the content does not conflict with Federal requirements or change the intent of the provisions of Form FHWA-1273.
July 2022 Revisions
Since Form FHWA-1273 was last revised on May 1, 2012, a number of regulatory revisions have occurred that necessitate updating the form. FHWA published a Federal Register Notice and Request for Comments on November 28, 2016. After considering all comments, FHWA has incorporated all appropriate edits in the revised Form FHWA-1273, which has been published in a Federal Register Notice on July 5, 2022. See the document below for a summary of the revisions to Form FHWA-1273.
- Section-by-Section Summary of Changes to Form FHWA-1273 (08/03/2022)
- July 21, 2022 Updates to Form FHWA-1273 Webinar [Presentation] [Recording] (Passcode: JbY9k+ax)
- 23 CFR 633.102 Applicability (02/13/2004) provides FHWA's regulatory policy on the required use and implementation of the Required Contract Provisions. See the discussion in the FHWA Contract Administration Core Curriculum Manual for current FHWA policy.
- 23 CFR 633A Federal-Aid Construction Contracts (Other than Appalachian Contracts) (02/13/2004)
- Form FHWA 1273 - Required Contract Provisions Federal-Aid Construction Contracts (07/05/2022)
- 29 CFR 5.5 Contract provisions and related matter (07/01/2019)
- The FHWA Contract Administration Core Curriculum Manual summarizes the FHWA's policies and provides general guidance regarding the use of form FHWA-1273.