Construction Program Guide
Bid Opening and Tabulation
The FHWA's policy for bid opening and the tabulation of construction bids provides for:
- The public opening of the bids
- The use of electronic methods for advertising, receiving bids, opening bids, announcing bid results or awarding contracts
- A prohibition against negotiation with contractors after bid opening but prior to the award of the contract
- Guidance for the submittal of bid tabulations to the Division Administrator
- 23 CFR 635.113 Bid opening and bid tabulations (04/01/2019) Provides the FHWA's regulatory policy regarding the advertising for bids for construction contracts. (Note: this regulation was last updated on August 2, 1991 and does not include revised stewardship, oversight, and applicability requirements resulting from the 1991 ISTEA and the 1998 TEA-21. See the discussion in the FHWA Contract Administration Core Curriculum Manual for current FHWA policy).
- The FHWA Contract Administration Core Curriculum Manual summarizes the FHWA's policies and provides general guidance for bid opening and bid tabulation.
- Procurement of Federal-aid Construction Projects (06/26/2008)
- Interim Guidance: 23 CFR Part 635 Electronic Contracting Issues (07/14/2006) Mr. Horne's allows State Transportation Agencies (STAs) to use electronic methods for advertising, receiving bids or awarding contracts
- FHWA Contract Administration Core Curriculum Manual
- FHWA Guidance Compliance Assessment Program (CAP) (April, 2017)
- Guidelines on Preparing Engineer's Estimate, Bid Reviews and Evaluation (01/20/2004) Replaces FHWA Technical Advisories TA 5080.4 and TA 5080.6
- Internet Bidding for Highway Construction Projects (11/15/2002)