Construction Program Guide
The FHWA's policies for construction authorization and plan, specification and estimate (PS&E) approval provide for:
The FHWA's review of the PS&E documents for certain projects (as described in the Division Office's Stewardship Agreement), and
Certifications by the contracting agency that clearances have been obtained (or necessary arrangements have been made) so as not to delay the construction contractor by delays due to inadequate coordination for right-of-way, utility relocations, railroad relocation, NEPA environmental clearances, and other pre-construction coordination programs.
- 23 CFR 635.309 Authorization (2016)
- 23 CFR 630 Subpart A Required Contract Provisions - Federal-aid Construction Contracts (Other than Appalachian Contracts) (04/01/2013)
- 23 CFR 630 Subpart B Plans, Specifications, and Estimates (2011)
- (Note: these regulations were revised prior to 1991 and do not include revised stewardship, oversight, and applicability requirements resulting from the 1991 ISTEA and the 1998 TEA-21. See the discussion in the FHWA Contract Administration Core Curriculum Manual for current FHWA policy).
- The FHWA Contract Administration Core Curriculum Manual discusses provides general policy and guidance concerning certifications made by the contracting agency when submitting the PS&E documents to the Division Office for construction authorization prior to the advertisement for bids.
- FHWA Contract Administration Core Curriculum Manual
- FHWA Guidance Compliance Assessment Program (CAP) (April, 2017)
- Final PY 2018 Core Question Guide (04/27/2017)
- Development and Review of Specifications (03/24/2010)
- Guidelines on Preparing Engineer's Estimate, Bid Reviews and Evaluation (01/20/2004) Replaces FHWA Technical Advisories TA 5080.4 and TA 5080.6
- Construction Contract Time Determination Procedures (T 5080.15) (10/15/2002)
- Incentive/Disincentive (I/D) for Early Completion (T 5080.10) (02/08/1989)