Construction Program Guide
Construction and Materials Quality Assurance
TRB Circular E-C037 (April 2002) defines Quality Assurance as "All those planned and systematic actions necessary to provide confidence that a product or facility will perform satisfactorily in service." More simply stated, Quality Assurance can be defined as "Making sure the Quality of a product is what it should be."
Various documents such as the National Quality Improvement Task Force Report on QA Procedures for Highway Construction (FHWA DP-89, June 1994) and the AASHTO Implementation Manual for Quality Assurance (February 1996) have outlined six critical elements of a Quality Assurance program. These elements include Quality Control (QC) by the Contractor, Acceptance by the Agency, Independent Assurance (IA), Dispute Resolution, and the use of Qualified Laboratories and Qualified Personnel by both parties.
23 USC, Title 23 United States Code (.pdf, 0.6 mb)
- 23 CFR 637B - Quality Assurance Procedures for Construction (June 1995)
- 23 CRF 637B Non-Regulatory Supplement
- Question and Answers on the Quality Assurance Regulation (23 CFR 637)
Technical Advisories and Informational Memorandums
- T 5080.12 - Specification Conformity Analysis
- T 6120.3 - Use of Contractor Test Results in the Acceptance Decision, Recommended Quality Measures, and the Identification of Contractor/Department Risks
- FHWA Memorandum - "Stewardship and Oversight of FHWA Construction Programs", 2003
- FHWA Memorandum - "Technician Qualification", 1998
- FHWA Memorandum - "Laboratory Qualification", 1998
- FHWA Memorandum and Report - National Review Program Report: "Quality Assurance in Materials and Construction"
- FHWA Memorandum - "Quality Assurance in Materials and Construction" follow-up discussion.
Other Guidance Documents
- Alternative Contracting Methods (ACMs) Library
- FHWA-RD-02-095 - "Optimal Acceptance Procedures for Quality Assurance Specifications"
- AASHTO Highway Subcommittee on Construction Report - "Major Types of Transportation Specifications"
- FHWA Materials Notebook
- FHWA Pavement Knowledge System
- TRB Circular E-C037 - Glossary of Highway Quality Assurance Terms (PDF)
- FHWA-04-013 - Construction Program Management and Inspection Guide
- NHI Course 134042A - "Materials Control and Acceptance - Quality Assurance"
- NHI Course 131032 - "Hot Mix Asphalt Construction". This course includes quality assurance practices for hot mix asphalt construction.
- NHI Course 134055 - TCCC Construction Inspection, Workmanship, and Quality
- NHI Course 134064 - Transportation Construction Quality Assurance (1.5 day)
- NHI Course 134064A - Transportation Construction Quality Assurance (3 day)
Other Quality Assurance Web sites