Highway Pavement Maintenance: State-of-the-Practice Review
Note: This guideline needs to be checked carefully against FHWA's current requirements
- How is the division's annual maintenance program developed? Is the program a stand-alone document or is it included in the division's annual stewardship plan?
- What activities are included in the annual maintenance plan?
- Who is involved in developing the annual maintenance program/ who is responsible administering the activities included in the annual program?
- Is an annual maintenance summary report prepared by the division office?
- Does the State submit an annual Interstate Maintenance Program (IMP) update? Is it reviewed by the division office?
- Is the IMP a useful document?
- What maintenance documentation is retained by the Division? Which reports are forwarded to the Headquarters?
- What involvement does the division have with the State's maintenance program? (Regulatory/compliance, program improvement, technology transfer, etc.)
- Has the division been involved in any innovative activities with regards to the State's maintenance program?
- Discuss any successes or failures which may be useful to other States/divisions?
- What areas within the State's maintenance program should FHWA be involved in order to add value to the program?
- What methods does the division use to identify opportunities for adding value to the State's maintenance program? What are some other potential methods for identifying opportunities?
- Has the division been involved in the State's preventive maintenance activities? Has the State used or been encouraged to use Federal-aid funds in these activities?
- Has any State and/or division guidance been issued which identifies types of preventive maintenance activities that are eligible for Federal-aid funding? Does this or other guidance address when safety upgrades must be included in these projects?
State DOT Operations (Division Audience):
- Has the Interstate Maintenance (IM) fund transfer option been utilized by your State? If so, in which years and how much as a percent of your annual IM budget?
- What types of preventive maintenance activities are being utilized by your State. Are Federal-aid funds participating in preventive maintenance?
- What types of innovative practices, techniques or equipment is the State using which may benefit other States?
- Is the IMP and its annual update a useful document? How is it used by the State?
- Through what types of activities can FHWA add the most value to your program? (i.e., technology transfer, process/product reviews, more active involvement in program, etc.)
- What current FHWA programs are a benefit to your maintenance program? What current FHWA programs are a hindrance to your division maintenance program?
- How did FHWA's adoption of a systems preservation philosophy affect the State's program? Did this lead to more Federal-aid funds being used on preventive maintenance activities?
State DOT Audience:
- Do you have a pavement preventive maintenance (PM) program in place? If not then are there specific reasons for this?
- Are there dedicated funds or allocation of highway regular funds for preventive maintenance set up? If not then what is the source of PM?
- Who controls the allocation of funds for highway improvements?
- Are the capital improvement program funds decreased by the amount of funding earmarked for preventive maintenance?
- What is the source of PM funding?
- What types of preventive maintenance treatments does your State use?
- How much extended service life do you estimate is gained by their use? How has this been verified?
- Do you have preventive maintenance strategies? (A PM strategy is defined as a series of treatments applied over the life of the pavement)
- How are these strategies used? To select pavements or treatments during the design process that provide for the least life cycle costs? Are they used to prepare maintenance budgets?
- How does functional class of the roadway affect strategies?
- How does traffic volume affect strategies?
- What research do you think is needed to further the knowledge of PM?
- Would you like to see FHWA initiate research and other related technology exchange programs. If yes then provide any examples.
- Are you familiar with the AASHTO Lead State initiative efforts in preventive maintenance?