Low-Carbon Transportation Materials Grants Program
The Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) established the Low-Carbon Transportation Materials (LCTM) Grants program to reimburse or provide incentives to eligible recipients for the use, in projects, of construction materials and products that have substantially lower levels of embodied greenhouse gas emissions associated with all relevant stages of production, use, and disposal as compared to estimated industry averages of similar materials or products as determined by the Administrator of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
The program also will help transportation agencies:
- Develop specifications for collecting documentation of a materials embodied greenhouse gas emissions;
- Develop or update technical specifications to allow for use of materials, products, and strategies that result in lower embodied carbon materials.
- Establish a process identify, verify, and use materials with lower levels of embodied greenhouse gas emissions;
The program is funded through the IRA Section 60506 and codified in 23 U.S.C. 179.
State departments of transportation, metropolitan planning organizations, local governments or agencies, Federally recognized tribes, Federal Lands Management Agencies, and others will be eligible to participate.
More information about applying for funding will be shared in Winter of 2023.
- Increase the use of lower carbon materials and products that are used in projects eligible under Title 23.
- Facilitate the use of low carbon transportation materials while ensuring appropriateness for use in projects eligible under Title 23.
- Facilitate the use of low carbon transportation materials while ensuring adequate engineering performance through an update to relevant agency specifications and development of special provisions, as appropriate.