Manual on Use of Self-Propelled Modular Transporters to Remove and Replace Bridges
Appendix F Example Specification for Lightweight Aggregate
FDOT Standard Specifications
901-4 Lightweight Aggregates.
901-4.1 Lightweight Coarse Aggregate for Bituminous Construction:
Lightweight coarse aggregate may be produced from naturally occurring materials such as pumice, scoria and tuff or from expanded clay, shale or slate fired in a rotary kiln. It shall be reasonably uniform in quality and density, and free of deleterious substances as specified in 901-1.2, except that the term cinders and clinkers shall apply to those particles clearly foreign to the extended aggregate in question.
In addition, it must meet the following specific requirements:
- Material passing the No. 200 Sieve ...........maximum 3.00%, (FM 1-T 011)
- Dry loose weight (AASHTO T 19)................33-55 lb/ft3*
- Los Angeles Abrasion (FM 1-T 096).............maximum 35%
- Ferric Oxide (ASTM C 641).....................maximum 1.5 mg
*Source shall maintain dry-loose unit weight within +6% of Quality Control average. Point of use dry-loose unit weight shall be within +10% of Source Quality Control average.
901-4.2 Lightweight Coarse Aggregate for Structural Concrete:
The requirements of 901-4.1 are modified as follows:
- Aggregates shall not be produced from pumice and scoria.
- Los Angeles Abrasion (FM 1-T 096, Section 12) shall be 45%, maximum.
- Gradation shall meet the requirements of AASHTO M 195 for 3/4 inch, 1/2 inch and 3/8 inch.