State Highway Transportation Department
Bridge Construction Post-Placement Inspection Checklist
Word Version (21 kb) | PDF Version (46 kb)
- Inspection of steel stay in place deck forms
- After a minimum of two days of curing, inspect the forms for soundness and bonding per state specification xxx.
- Straightedging (spec. ref.)
- Inspect bridge deck and approach slab surface. It should not vary by more than 4 mm (1/8 inch) measured from bottom of straightedge.
- Vertical steps at ends of decks and approach slabs shall not exceed 5 mm (3/16 inch).
- Expansion joints shall be placed from 2 to 5 mm (1/16 inch to 3/16 inch) below grade.
- Inspect entire deck for excess roughness, plastic shrinkage cracking, or surface tearing.
- Correct deficiencies per spec ref.
- Grooving Hardened Concrete
- After straightedging and repair, the deck shall be grooved.
- Width of grooves shall be 3mm +/- 0.5mm.
- Depth of grooves shall be 3 to 6 mm (1/8" to 1/4").
- Longitudinal grooves shall be spaced at 19mm center to center (approx. 3/4") constant spacing.
- Transverse grooves shall have variable spacings from 13 to 22 mm (approx. 1/2" to 7/8").
- Removal of slurry shall be continuous and immediate.
- Penetrating Water Repellent
- After grooving, and after the concrete has achieved design strength, verify bridge decks and approach slabs receive a penetrating water repellent treatment. (spec ref.)
- Sealing of Construction Joints and Cracks
- After grooving and after applying the penetrating water repellent, Verify all construction joints and cracks visible on a dry deck have been sealed with appropriate materials (spec ref)