U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Highway Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20590
Reports and Articles
Seismic Design, Retrofitting, Analysis, and Reconnaissance
- M. Lee Marsh, Stuart J. Stringer, John F. Stanton, Marc O. Eberhard, Olafur S. Haraldsson, Hung Viet Tran, Bijan Khaleghi, Eric Schultz, and Steve Seguirant, (2013), Precast Bent System for High Seismic Regions, Highways for LIFE Program Office, FHWA-HIF-13-037, June 2013.
- Ahmad M. Itani and Gokhan Pekcan, (2011), Seismic Performance of Steel Plate Girder Bridges with Integral Abutments, Office of Bridge Technology, FHWA-HIF-11-043, August 2011.
- Wen-Huei Phillip Yen, Genda Chen, Ian Buckle, Tony Allen, Daniel Alzamora, Jeffrey Ger, and Juan G. Arias, (2011), Post-Earthquake Reconnaissance Report on Transportation Infrastructure: Impact of the February 27, 2010, Offshore Maule Earthquake in Chile, Office of Infrastructure Research and Development, FHWA-HRT-11-030, March 2011.
- Wen-Huei Phillip Yen, Genda Chen, Mark Yashinsky, Youssef Hashash, Curtis Holub, Kehai Wang, and Xiaodong Guo, (2011), China Earthquake Reconnaissance Report: Performance of Transportation Structures During the May 12, 2008, M7.9 Wenchuan Earthquake, Office of Infrastructure Research and Development, FHWA-HRT-11-029, February 2011.
- Derrell Manceaux and Roland Nimis, (2004), Seismic Design, Analysis and Retrofit, FHWA-RC-BAL-04-0015.
- Hamid Ghasemi, (1999), "Seismic Protection of Bridges," Public Roads, Vol. 62 No. 5, March/April 1999.
Seismic Foundation Design
- Kyle Rollins and Erick Hollenbaugh, (2017), Liquefaction-Induced Downdrag on Continuous Flight Auger (CFA) Piles From Full-Scale Tests Using Blast Liquefaction, Office of Infrastructure Research and Development, FHWA-HRT-17-060, August 2017.
- Determination of Seismically Induced Soil Liquefaction Potential at Proposed Bridge Sites, (1977),
- Volume 1, FHWA-RD-77-127, NTIS PB-282354
- Volume 2, FHWA-RD-77-128, NTIS PB-282355
- Seismic Design of Highway Bridge Foundations,(1986),
- Volume 1, FHWA-RD-86-101, NTIS PB87-133062
- Volume 2, FHWA-RD-86-102, NTIS PB88-157276
- Volume 3, FHWA-RD-86-103, NTIS PB88-157284
- Pier Scour Estimation for Tsunami at Bridges, Office of Research, Development, and Technology, HRT-21-073, 2021
- Highways in the Coastal Environment - 3rd edition, HIF-19-059, 2020
- Hydraulic Performance of Shallow Foundations for The Support of Vertical-Wall Bridge Abutments, HRT-17-013, 2017
- Advanced Methodology to Assess Riprap Rock Stability At Bridge Piers and Abutments, HRT-17-054, 2017
- Highways in the River Environment - Floodplains, Extreme Events, Risk, and Resilience, 2nd Edition, HIF-16-018, 2016
- Updating HEC-18 Pier Scour Equations for Noncohesive Soils, HRT-16-045, 2016
- Scour in Cohesive Soils, HRT-15-033, 2015
- Evaluating Scour at Bridges, Fifth Edition, HIF-12-003, 2012
- Stream Stability at Highway Structures Fourth Edition, HIF-12-004, 2012
- Hydraulic Design of Safe Bridges, HIF-12-018, 2012
- Pier Scour in Clear-Water Conditions With Non-Uniform Bed Materials, HRT-12-022, 2012
- Submerged Flow Bridge Scour Under Clear Water Conditions, HRT-12-034, 2012
- Hydrodynamic Forces on Inundated Bridge Decks, HRT-09-028, 2009
- Bridge Pressure Flow Scour for Clear Water Conditions, HRT-09-041, 2009
- Bridge Scour and Stream Instability Countermeasures Experience, Selection, and Design Guidance Third Edition, Volume 1, NHI-09-111, 2009
- Bridge Scour and Stream Instability Countermeasures Experience, Selection, and Design Guidance Third Edition, Volume 2, NHI-09-112, 2009
- Bottomless Culvert Scour Study: Phase II Laboratory Report, HRT-07-026, 2007
- Assessing Stream Channel Stability at Bridges in Physiographic Regions, HRT-05-072, 2006
- Debris Control Structures Evaluation and Countermeasures, IF-04-016, 2005
- Field Observations and Evaluations of Streambed Scour at Bridges, RD-03-052, 2005
- Enhanced Abutment Scour Studies For Compound Channels, RD-99-156, 2004
- Bridge Scour in Nonuniform Sediment Mixtures and in Cohesive Materials: Synthesis Report, RD-03-083, 2003
- Bottomless Culvert Scour Study: Phase I Laboratory Report, RD-02-078, 2002
- River Engineering for Highway Encroachments, NHI-01-004, 2001
- Effects of Gradation and Cohesion on Scour, Volume 6, "Abutment Scour in Uniform and Stratified Sand Mixtures", RD-99-188, 1999
- Effects of Gradation and Cohesion on Scour, Volume 5, "Effect of Cohesion on Bridge Abutment Scour", RD-99-187, 1999
- Effects of Gradation and Cohesion on Scour, Volume 4, "Experimental Study of Scour Around Circular Piers in Cohesive Soils", RD-99-186, 1999
- Effects of Gradation and Cohesion on Scour, Volume 3, "Abutment Scour for Nonuniform Mixtures", RD-99-185, 1999
- Effects of Gradation and Cohesion on Scour, Volume 2, "Experimental Study of Sediment Gradation and Flow Hydrograph Effects on Clear Water Scour Around Circular Piers", RD-99-184, 1999
- Effects of Gradation and Cohesion on Scour, Volume 1, "Effect of Sediment Gradation and Coarse Material Fraction on Clear Water Scour Around Bridge Piers", RD-99-183, 1999
- Portable Instrumentation for Real Time Measurement of Scour At Bridges, RD-99-085, 1999
Hazard Mitigation Series-Public Roads
- Sheila Rimal Duwadi, (2010), "Hazard Mitigation R&D Series: Article 1: Taking a Key Role in Reducing Disaster Risks", Public Roads, Vol. 73 No. 6, FHWA-HRT-10-004, May/June 2010.
- Kornel Kerenyi and Junke Guo, (2010), "Hazard Mitigation R&D Series: Article 2: Scour, Flooding, and Inundation", Public Roads, Vol. 74 No. 1, FHWA-HRT-10-005, July/August 2010.
- Wen-Huei (Phillip) Yen, (2010), Hazard Mitigation R&D Series: Article 3: "Earthquake!", Public Roads, Vol. 74 No. 2, FHWA-HRT-10-006, September/October 2010.
- Harold R. Bosch, (2011), Hazard Mitigation R&D Series: Article 4: "Winds, Windstorms, and Hurricanes", Public Roads, Vol. 74 No. 4, FHWA-HRT-11-002, January/February 2011.
- Sheila Rimal Duwadi and Eric Munley, (2011), Hazard Mitigation R&D Series: Article 5: "Securing The Nation's Bridges", Public Roads, Vol. 74 No. 6, FHWA-HRT-11-004, May/June 2011. https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/publicroads/11mayjun/04.cfm
Multi-Hazard Resilience, Extreme Events, and Risk-Based Management
- Emergency Relief Manual, (2013)
- Gordon D. Proctor, Shobna Varma, (2012), Risk-Based Transportation Asset Management Literature Review, Office of Asset Management, FHWA-HIF-12-036, June 2012.
- Emergency Relief for Federally Owned Roads, Disaster Assistance Manual, (2011), FHWA-FLH-11-001, April 2011.
- Andrew D. Stern, Vaishali Shah, and Lynette Goodwin, Paul Pisano, (2003) Analysis of Weather Impact on Traffic Flow in Metropolitan Washington D.C.
- Sea Level Rise and Storm Surge Impacts on a Coastal Bridge: I-10 Bayway, Mobile Bay, Alabama (2017), FHWA-HEP-17-014
Aerodynamics and Wind for Highway Structures
- Harold R. Bosch and James R. Pagenkopf (2021), Dynamic Properties of Stay Cables on the Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge, Office of Infrastructure Research and Development, FHWA-HRT-21-058, May 2021
- Heidi Christiansen and Guy L. Larose (2021), Wind-Tunnel Investigations of the Aerodynamics of Bridge Stay Cable Cross-Sectional Shapes, Office of Infrastructure Research and Development, FHWA-HRT-21-074, August 2021.
- Harold R. Bosch and James R. Pagenkopf, (2014), Dynamic Properties of Stay Cables on The Penobscot Narrows Bridge, Office of Infrastructure R&D, FHWA-HRT-14-067, September 2014.
- Larose, G.L., and D’Auteuil, A., "Wind Tunnel Investigations of an Inclined Stay Cable with a Helical Fillet," Report No. FHWA-HRT-14-070, Federal Highway Administration, McLean, VA, September 2014.
- Sunwoo Park and Harold R. Bosch, (2014), Mitigation of Wind-Induced Vibration of Stay Cables: Numerical Simulations and Evaluations, Office of Infrastructure R&D, FHWA-HRT-14-049, August 2014.
- Sena Kumarasena, Nicholas P. Jones, Peter Irwin, Peter Taylor, (2007), Wind-Induced Vibration of Stay Cables, Office of Infrastructure R&D, FHWA-RD-05-083, August 2007.
- Sena Kumarasena, Nicholas P. Jones, Peter Irwin, Peter Taylor, (2007), TechBrief: Wind-Induced Vibration of Stay Cables, Office of Infrastructure R&D, FHWA-RD-05-084 July 2007.