U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Highway Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20590
September 2020 Traffic Volume Trends
- Travel on all roads and streets changed by -8.6% (-23.4 billion vehicle miles) for September 2020 as compared with September 2019. Travel for the month is estimated to be 248.3 billion vehicle miles.
- The seasonally adjusted vehicle miles traveled for September 2020 is 247.2 billion miles, a -9.7% (-26.7 billion vehicle miles) decline from September 2019. It also represents 2.8% increase (6.7 billion vehicle miles) compared with August 2020.
- Cumulative Travel for 2020 changed by -14.5% (-355.5 billion vehicle miles). The cumulative estimate for the year is 2,093.1 billion vehicle miles of travel.
- Estimated Vehicle-Miles of Travel by Region - September 2020 - (in Billions)
- Change in Traffic as compared to same month last year.
- All data for this month are preliminary. Revised values for the previous month are shown in Tables 1 and 2.
- All vehicle-miles of travel computed with Highway Statistics 2018 Table VM-2 as a base. Compiled with data on hand as of September 3, 2020.
- Some historical data were revised based on HPMS and amended TVT data as of December 2018.
- For information on total licensed drivers in the U.S. visit http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policy/ohpi/hss/hsspubs.htm.
- Select the year of interest then Section 6 (Driver Licensing).
- For information on total registered motor vehicles in the U.S., visit http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policy/ohpi/hss/hsspubs.htm
- Select the year of interest and Section 7 (Motor Vehicles).
- Travel Trends (September 2020)
- Estimated Monthly Motor Vehicle Travel in the U.S. for September 2020
- Changes on Rural Arterial Roads by Region and State
- Changes on Urban Arterial Roads by Region and State
- Changes on All Estimated Roads by Region and State
- Volume Trends - Rural
- Volume Trends - Urban
- Figure 1 - Moving 12-Month Total on All Roads
- Figure 2 - Travel on U.S. Highways by Month
- Figure 3 - Seasonally Adjusted Vehicle Miles Traveled by Month
Return to top
Page last modified on November 3, 2020