U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Highway Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20590
May 2016 Traffic Volume Trends
- Travel on all roads and streets changed by 2.0% (5.5 billion vehicle miles) for May 2016 as compared with May 2015.
- Travel for the month is estimated to be 279.4 billion vehicle miles.
- The seasonally adjusted vehicle miles traveled for May 2016 is 266.6 billion miles, a 2.1% (5.6 billion vehicle miles) increase over May 2015. It also represents a 0.2% decrease (-0.5 billion vehicle miles) compared with April 2016.
- Cumulative Travel for 2016 changed by 3.3% (41.8 billion vehicle miles).
- The cumulative estimate for the year is 1,297.8 billion vehicle miles of travel.
- Estimated Vehicle-Miles of Travel by Region - May 2016 - (in Billions)
- Change in Traffic as compared to same month last year.
- All data for this month are preliminary. Revised values for the previous month are shown in Tables 1 and 2.
- All vehicle-miles of travel computed with Highway Statistics 2014 Table VM-2 as a base.
- Compiled with data on hand as of July 8, 2016.
- Some historical data were revised based on HPMS and amended TVT data as of December 2014.
- For information on total licensed drivers in the U.S. visit https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policy/ohpi/hss/hsspubs.htm. Select the year of interest then Section III (Driver Licensing).
- For information on total registered motor vehicles in the U.S., visit https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policy/ohpi/hss/hsspubs.htm. Select the year of interest and Section II (Motor Vehicles).
- Seasonally adjusted vehicle miles traveled removes seasonal changes allowing month-to-month, year-to-year trend comparisons.
- Travel Trends (May 2016)
- Individual Monthly Motor Vehicle Travel in the U.S. for May 2016
- Changes on Rural Arterial Roads by Region and State
- Changes on Urban Arterial Roads by Region and State
- Changes on All Estimated Roads by Region and State
- Volume Trends - Rural
- Volume Trends - Urban
- Figure 1 - Moving 12-Month Total on All Highways
- Figure 2 - Travel on U.S. Highways By Month
- Figure 3 - Seasonally Adjusted Vehicle Miles Traveled
Return to top
Page last modified on January 31, 2017