U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Highway Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20590
July 2021 Traffic Volume Trends
- Travel on all roads and streets changed by 11.5% (30.0 billion vehicle miles) for July 2021 as compared with July 2020. Travel for the month is estimated to be 290.1 billion vehicle miles.
- The seasonally adjusted vehicle miles traveled for July 2021 is 267.6 billion miles, a 13.1% (31 billion vehicle miles) increase over July 2020. It also represents 0.2% increase (0.4 billion vehicle miles) compared with June 2021.
- Cumulative Travel for 2021 changed by 12.8% (203.4 billion vehicle miles). The cumulative estimate for the year is 1,795.0 billion vehicle miles of travel.
- Estimated Vehicle-Miles of Travel by Region - July 2021 - (in Billions)
- Change in Traffic as compared to same month last year.
- All data for this month are preliminary. Revised values for the previous month are shown in Tables 1 and 2.
- All vehicle-miles of travel computed with Highway Statistics 2018 Table VM-2 as a base. Compiled with data on hand as of September 13,2021.
- Some historical data were revised based on HPMS and amended TVT data as of December 2019.
- For information on total licensed drivers in the U.S. visit http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policy/ohpi/hss/hsspubs.htm.
- Select the year of interest then Section 6 (Driver Licensing).
- For information on total registered motor vehicles in the U.S., visit http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policy/ohpi/hss/hsspubs.htm
- Select the year of interest and Section 7 (Motor Vehicles).
- Travel Trends (July 2021)
- Estimated Monthly Motor Vehicle Travel in the U.S. for July 2021
- Changes on Rural Arterial Roads by Region and State
- Changes on Urban Arterial Roads by Region and State
- Changes on All Estimated Roads by Region and State
- Volume Trends - Rural
- Volume Trends - Urban
- Figure 1 - Moving 12-Month Total on All Roads
- Figure 2 - Travel on U.S. Highways by Month
- Figure 3 - Seasonally Adjusted Vehicle Miles Traveled by Month
Page last modified on September 21, 2021