U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Highway Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20590
December 2022 Traffic Volume Trends
- Travel on all roads and streets changed by -1.8% (-4.6 billion vehicle miles) for December 2022 as compared with December 2021. Travel for the month is estimated to be 256.4 billion vehicle miles.
- The seasonally adjusted vehicle miles traveled for December 2022 is 263.1 billion miles, a -1.3% ( -3.4 billion vehicle miles) change over December 2021. It also represents a -0.1% change (-0.2 billion vehicle miles) compared with November 2022.
- Cumulative Travel for 2022 changed by +0.9% (+29.3 billion vehicle miles). The cumulative estimate for the year is 3,169.4 billion vehicle miles of travel.
- Estimated Vehicle-Miles of Travel by Region - December 2022 - (in Billions)
- Change in Traffic as compared to same month last year.
All data for this month are preliminary. Revised values for the previous month are shown in Tables 1 and 2.
All vehicle-miles of travel computed with Highway Statistics 2020 Table VM-2 as a base.
Compiled with data on hand as of February 22,2023.
- Some historical data were revised based on HPMS and amended TVT data as of December 2020.
- For information on total licensed drivers in the U.S. visit http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policy/ohpi/hss/hsspubs.htm.
Select the year of interest then Section 6 (Driver Licensing).
- For information on total registered motor vehicles in the U.S., visit http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policy/ohpi/hss/hsspubs.htm
Select the year of interest and Section 7 (Motor Vehicles).
- To facilitate historic analysis, the VMT values for the seasonally adjusted series have been updated for the 12 months
the current month and in all other months, held at the value from last month's release.
- Travel Trends (December 2022)
- Estimated Monthly Motor Vehicle Travel in the U.S. for December 2022
- Changes on Rural Arterial Roads by Region and State
- Changes on Urban Arterial Roads by Region and State
- Changes on All Estimated Roads by Region and State
- Volume Trends - Rural
- Volume Trends - Urban
- Figure 1 - Moving 12-Month Total on All Roads
- Figure 2 - Travel on U.S. Highways by Month
- Figure 3 - Seasonally Adjusted Vehicle Miles Traveled by Month
Return to top
Page last modified on August 5, 2022